Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Confusing Quote

“I am not going to be forced into doing things. I don’t want to go abroad. I want to be let alone. Nobody has any right – except children perhaps – and even then, it seems to me – or it did seem” –Edna, 170-171

I was wondering what Edna means by this. Her speech gets a little mangled at the end, but she seems to be on to an interesting point. I think what she must have been trying to say is either "children are the only ones who have rights," because of all the men-women gender stereotypes (but even then, stereotypes were placed on children based on their gender, so...) Or maybe she is trying to say that "no one has any right to make me do anything, except children, but then again, maybe not." What do you guys make of this confusing quote?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, she goes a bit weird at the end of the quote. I think it is saying that she has a mind of her own and nobody can make her do anything she doesn't want to do.

    ReplyDelete